Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Day With Giants

We went on our second field trip to Florence and I must say, it was much more eventful! We exited our train at Santa Maria Novella and went to that church for about an hour. We focused on Masaccio's Trinity, which is somewhat tedious since by this point, we've seen what feels like 100 trinities. Not to sound like a spoiled study abroad student or anything. The best part of the day was visiting the Uffizi Gallery. I was expecting Kirk to talk forever about artists I'd never heard of but I spent my day looking at works by the fab 3 of the Italian Renaissance: Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. Not to mention Bottacelli, who I realized I looooove. You know exactly the painting I saw of his today: The Birth of Venus and Primavera. My mom has never understood why I love mythology but to me, that's much more interesting than describing Raphael's Portrait of Pope Leo X. I'm sorry but it just didn't tickle my fancy. It just seemed like the audience during the Renaissance was full of superstitious people who believed in the power of art to cure, save and teach them things. I loved today. Much more than any other day of Renaissance Art. I appreciated everything I saw.

Usually we'd go home to Arezzo with Kirk right after class. Danielle and I wanted to say behind and walk around for awhile, though. Also, we wanted to go to Hark Rock Cafe and have real burgers. After having guacamole for the first time in two months, we were about to explode from eating so much. We walked around and I bought another pretty something! Can you guess what it is?? No? I'll help you out. If you're Chloe or mom, it's something I've been wanting for a looooong time. Give up? Here it is -- I'm thrilled:
I'm in love with it!
Here's one of me with my outdoor David. We're best friends and in love. Sorry, ladies.

We headed home after that and are now pooped from all the walking. Of course, I have an Italian Quiz tomorrow morning over a LOT of material. This weekend we're taking a day-trip to another local Tuscan town. I'll update you after!

A presto!

2 comments:

  1. Io amo FIRENZE! Did you guys make it up to Piazzale Michelangelo? It overlooks the city and is absolutely gorgeous! I would highly recommend it. I also recommend taking the little trip up the mountains to Fiezole. It also overlooks Florence and is a gorgeous little town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo! We haven't made it up there yet!
    Because it's a class, we have a really strict itinerary. We're in museums and churches for four hours and have one 15-minute bathroom break. I need to either stay late or make it up there on a weekend, though!

    ReplyDelete