Monday, May 23, 2011

E pluribus unum!

3 plane flights. 2 metro stops. 1 car ride.

For the first time in my life, I wasn't nervous. You'd think I'd feel completely out of my element since I was surrounded by people I see on the news everyday; but it felt normal when I walked into an office of Oklahomans with that same Southern hospitality. It was a pretty average day: meeting staffers whose names it'll take me the whole trip to sort out, going on a tour that I have to be able to give by myself in about 12 hours, and getting blisters the size of quarters from a pair of heels that I need to wear again tomorrow. Worried? NO. I am loving it so much!
All day long we were anticipating our pretty badges that make us "ofish" (official) as my fellow intern calls it. As is expected, I was all smiles when we finally made it to the ID-making office. (:
It feels so nice to be spending time with such ambitious people! I feel blessed to be from Oklahoma, the land of "beef and Sooners" but, like anyone else, I've been praying for a way to get out of town and see things. I'm scared time's going to fly by before I get a chance to embrace this opportunity so I've been taking deep breaths (literally) so I won't forget the smells or feeling of complete bliss. And who could forget the cheesy touring that I plan to start right away?! First stop: the Smithsonian American History Museum. It's time to revisit Dorothy's slippers now that they actually mean something to me! ;)

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the name of your blog! And your writing is so interesting and fun to read. I really look forward to following your adventures here. Can't wait to hear about the museum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture you posted was so pretty. It is so neat that you get to be going there, and I can't wait to hear how your tour is tomorrow! I hope you do well. Can't wait to hear more about it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of my second born. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Court, love those slippers. See if you can borrow them instead of wearing those heels. The American History Museum is my favorite, but besure and see Mt Vernon right off Hwy 1. We live just 8 miles south of it in Woodbridge. ~Marcia

    ReplyDelete