Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sisters

I was on the metro tonight headed home after being gone for 12 hours. I was tired, I was carrying heavy bags, and I was hot from the humidity and high temperatures. I hate waiting for the metro sometimes because the drivers get slow and lazy at night when everyone's ready to get where they're going. I heard giggling and started watching two sisters (presumably twins) laughing about friends, adventures, and life. I felt a small sting in my chest because I realized just how much I love my sisters. I don't get that I-need-to-throw-up homesick feeling but sometimes seeing just the right thing makes me miss everything about being home. I know, I know, it's been a WEEK. Don't worry, I'm not crying and I'm not at all ready to come home. But for you moms out there, don't worry -- we still love the smell of your kitchen, the feel of the carpet, and the feel of family.

On to more light-hearted news! I spent the weekend being lazy since I was on my feet for an exhausting week! Great way to spend a 3-day weekend if I do say so myself. But come Memorial Day, it was time I went out and enjoyed the holiday. Back in Oklahoma, my family doesn't really make a big deal of Memorial Day -- no cookouts, no fireworks, no parties. Just relaxing. But I'm in the most patriotic city in the nation so how could I not take advantage of it?? I set my sights on Arlington, with it's reverence and respectful feel. I knew it'd be busy and hot so no surprise there. Besides, you can't really get frustrated with crowds given the nature of this holiday; one that is focused on sacrifice, service, etc. I will say, that I wasn't prepared for the sunburn that I'd acquire after only TWO hours in the direct sun. Why am I a redhead, honestly? We witnessed the changing of the guards, saw the Arlington House (disappointing because of the renovations), the  graves of the Kennedy's, etc.
Definitely a good day, finished off by dinner with an old friend from junior high at Hard Rock and a bus tour of the city with her!
And here's one just for fun:
(:

No comments:

Post a Comment