Thursday, January 12, 2012

Just a Spoonful of Sugar

You know that scene from Mary Poppins when Jane and Michael are just meeting Mary? She comes into the nursery and their room is a pit but after teaching them to snap their fingers, everything just floats into its place. By the end, the kids think cleaning their room is the funnest thing ever.
Every day I have to remind myself that Mary Poppins isn't reality. Reality for me's a little more like this:

Why, oh, why do I continue to do this to myself? In case you can't really tell from the picture, that mess is the clothes that are piling up on my floor. They'll soon be in a suitcase but for now, I'm trying to decide what clothes are necessary and which are just Courtney's irrational justifications. "But if I happen to run into the cast of Jersey Shore, I'm going to wish I'd brought something to wear 'out on the town." The hypotheticals are endless.

As a whole, though, I just keep putting it off "until tomorrow." Guess what. Tomorrow is too late, now. But I can at least say that I was proactive, got my teeth cleaned, am getting a hair cut tomorrow and am finishing my last minute shopping then, too. Today I went to Wellston to spend some time with my grandparents before I leave. I took Rachel with me so I'd get some quality time with her, too. We spent the morning catching up on a lot of time I've missed (I was the only one to miss Aldridge family Christmas...). They took us to a cute Mom-n-Pops place for burgers -- they were delicious! The whole place looked very "down home" and I looked to Rachel and said, "This is what you want, isn't it, Cowgirl??" She said, "Stop calling me that, weirdo." Normal. We are the most different pair in the world -- she makes me look like a total city girl (because I am one). But honestly, she's been one of the oldest and most consistent friends I've had. Catching up's just like old times. You need those friends in your life, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment