Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Burlap & Gold

Throughout my life, I have been blessed with friendships I consider uniquely beautiful. I have watched some grow from nothings into large somethings while other major somethings awkwardly digressed into nothings. I wish some wise, experienced person could tell me how to handle losing a major something. You know, those people you can't picture your life without. For as long as I can remember, I always knew my seasonal friends from my closest friends; but I also felt that the strength of my friendships were especially rare. God, in his infinite wisdom, placed people in my life who were inarguably fantastic and complemented my personality exactly. Anyone who knew us would agree that we were so similar. So how does one explain how you just fall out of friendship, like people fall out of love?

I've gotten over the fresh sting of losing them and I don't lose sleep or get disgustingly sentimental; but I can't even explain to the curious bystander how we unraveled years of spending vacations together, sharing everything down to a toothbrush, having an incestuous dating history, and giggling over the stupidest things until the wee hours of the morning.

Perhaps you've also heard it said:

"Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."


Is it possible, though, that a friendship that I always considered to be the gold thread, slowly became the piece of burlap?

No comments:

Post a Comment